Sam started kindergarten last week. He was a little nervous in the days leading up to the 19th, but when he woke up that morning, he was ready to go! I think I was more nervous than he was.
The day before the first day, I took the kids to McDonalds for an ice cream cone and play time. We met some friends who have a daughter who was also starting kindergarten. Sam and Abby enjoyed their ice cream and had a great time on the playground. (thank goodness for the coolness of the playroom on a hot day!)
That night for dinner we had pizza and did a little back to school party for Sam. It wasn't anything fancy - I just tried to make the table a little more festive than normal. I think he liked it because when he came to the table, he had a big smile on his face and said, "I can't believe this is all for me!" I think we'll have to make this a family tradition.
The morning of the first day went really smoothly. We had my Mom come over to stay with Abby so we'd be able to focus on Sam at school. I was feeling pretty good and even thinking I might get through the morning without crying. We got to the school and were walking in and one of the administrators welcomed Sam and he said so proudly and excitedly, "I'm going to Kindergarten!" That's when my tears started. I was just so proud of him! My little guy was going to school and he was ready and excited. It was what we had been preparing him for. I pulled myself together and got him settled in his classroom. He walked right in and made himself at home. I think he would have been just fine without a good-bye kiss and hug from us. Thankfully, they were having a Boo Hoo Breakfast in the media center for the kindergarten parents. We stopped there so I could wipe my tears.
That first day was pretty tough. I had no idea what the routine for his day was or when he had lunch or anything! I found myself thinking about him wondering what he was doing and then I'd start missing him, so then I'd try not to think about him and would then feel guilty for not thinking about him! It was a tormented day for me! I was about to crawl out of my skin while waiting in the line of cars that afternoon. I don't remember ever being so anxious to see him!
Then I got worried that he wouldn't want to tell me about his day. I was so happy when he jumped in the car and was talking a mile a minute sharing his day with us!
So today, we finished up day 4 and he seems to be adjusting really well. I'm so proud of him and so happy that he loves school and his teacher.


No comments:
Post a Comment